Royalty-free music is quickly becoming a necessity for commercial and personal projects, big and small. Why? Because it offers people the opportunity to pair high-quality music and other types of audio content with their production for a reasonable price.
Thanks to the Internet and the pervasive use of websites and other forms of media for personal and professional purposes, royalty-free content has truly become a standard part of our everyday lives.
What Is Royalty-Free Music?
Regardless of your profession, you’ve no doubt heard the term “royalty-free” before, though you may not be totally familiar with what it means. In short, when you purchase royalty-free content—photography, icons, fonts, music, or any other form of intellectual property—what you’re really purchasing is the rights to use that content, not the content itself.
When it comes to royalty-free music, artists and composers always retain ownership to the audio content they’ve created. What a royalty-free license affords you then is the ability to use their music tracks without having to pay the artists a royalty or any other per-use fees.
It’s important to note that if you do use royalty-free music in a movie or on TV, that artists are then owed a royalty payment. It won’t come from you, but you will still be responsible for filling out a cue sheet to ensure that they do get paid. Learn more about that here.
Why Should You Use Royalty-Free Music?
If you’ve got a project that is in need of some high-quality audio content, here are some reasons to consider royalty-free music:
- It’s affordable. The license you purchase is the only fee you will have to pay.
- It’s legal. If you’ve ever published something to Vimeo or YouTube and received a copyright violation notice or penalty, you’ll know what a big deal it is to secure the license to any and all music you use.
- It’s easy. Royalty-free music typically comes in a number of universally used, downloadable formats that you get access to once your purchase is complete.
- It’s yours forever. While there are some stipulations on how many different projects you can use your music for (based on the license you secure), any royalty-free music license you purchase will last in perpetuity.
- It’s copyright clear. You don’t have to worry about contacting any third parties. Copyrights are owned by the artists, so the licensing rights are theirs to give.
- It’s versatile. The right music can make a huge difference for any project. It can amplify the tone, support the theme, and even inspire a story.
- It’s high-quality. Royalty-free music is made by professional artists and musicians, so audio content you find in a music library is guaranteed to be high-quality and to give your project that big production feel you’re looking for.
Where Can You Use Royalty-Free Music?
If you’ve ever wanted to use professionally composed music for a personal project, a business presentation, or a commercial production, this is where royalty-free music comes in handy. Here are just some of the project types you may consider it for:
- Company training video
- YouTube video
- Business presentation
- Television commercial
- Video game
- Wedding video
- And more
The most important thing to keep in mind is that you’ll want to find the music track that fits your project best. In order to do that, you need to find a high-quality, royalty-free music library you trust. When you’re ready to get started, feel free to reach out and let us know how we can help.